Sunday, October 27, 2013

My Hair (or aka. How I Get Bored Easily and Decide to Change It)

                            (me with my jet black hair. And yes it was an 80s party hence the crimping...)

Ok. Pre-warning in advance: this is possibly a blog rant about my hair.

For anyone who knows me well, then this is of no surprise to you but to those of you that don't I happen to like changing my hair. I know, who doesn't right? Since I got my very first set of blonde highlights when I was 14 (eek), my hair has never been quite the same. It has been highlighted blonde, pillabox red at 16, then turned dark at 17, then brown, then back to red, then ginger (red is a bugger to manage), then black cherry, then dark brown and finally black. This is when things went wrong....

I happened to use the Nice n'Easy Colour Mousse in Natural Black supidly thinking that because the hair dye was in mousse form that somehow it would not be permanent. How wrong was I.... Firstly, can I just say the application was terrible! It went everywhere!! Will not buy again. But anyways yes, I did like the dramatic colour for quite a few weeks despite the Goth comparisons, but hey, I liked being a raven head :)

That was in January. And it got to about February/March when I decided it was maybe TOO dark for me. I am quite pale (no stranger to being albino white in winter) so, it can wash me out if I dont wear any blush or bronzer and plus, straight black hair has no warmth or definition to it - it can look like you're wearing a Morticia Adams wig. Sad times.

Since then it has been a struggle to get rid of the black. Again, being naive, I thought black hair colour would fade when actually it's the hardest shade to get rid of. Did not know this. Red hair was a doddle compared to black!! To this day I chastise myself for not Googling black hair dye, but again, the impatience and that overwheling urge of "oh-my-god lets dye my hair here's a new colour!..." kicked in.... So I stupidly tried to put a brown dye over my black hair and what did it do? Sod all. Because nothing shifts black apart from killing it. So, that what I decided to do...


So I bought this baby from Superdrug. This is Scott Cornwall's Colour B4 (Extra Strenght) especially to help those who have been foolish like myself to remove dark hair colours. It cost like £11.99 and promises to shrink artificial hair colour molecules so you can wash them out. In the words of Alexander the Meercat, Simples?

Well in theory it's simple. I had been lingering over buying it for weeks but I was scared something would go wrong and my hair might fall out or whatever but in the end, I just did it. And so the avid journalist in me decided to document the whole process in hope of telling you lovely bloggers....

So you mix two solutions together and apply all over the hair like hair dye. You can wait either 30 to 50 minutes for the solution to do it's magic and I went for the longest time possible in order to shift the black. Biggest turn off of this product? The smell. It was vile! I felt sick having it in my hair - I can't even describe it, some have said it's like rotten egg but I think its worse! Anyway, as they say no pain, no gain so I put up with the aroma. To help speed up the process, I sat with a Boots plastic bag over my hair whilst surfing the net. God knows what anyone must have thought if they walked past my window that day!!....

Time was up, so I decided to look in the mirror and assess the damage...



















Yes, it could be mistaken for seaweed. But already I could see a HUGE difference! It was brown! Not jet black! Considering my hair must have had build-up of colour too, this was great that it shifted so much colour. I was pleased and thought "hey I don't even need a dye to put over it'' until I saw my roots....


















My roots were the colour of Sugar Puffs... It was honey coloured! I was baffled. I didn't know whether the solution had made my natural roots turn that way, but I hardly had any root growth. Odd.

Anyway, I put the Buffer shampoo on afterwards which took forever! You have to rinse so much, I swear the amount of water that dripped from my hair onto my bathroom floor made it look like an enclosure at Seaworld... A top tip is to time with a phone alarm how long you rinse in the shower as 2 minutes felt like 10.... I was expecting my hair to be like straw and granted yes,  it did dry it out a bit, but not half as bad as I was expecting!














Now I know my lighting isn't great, but wow. I had warm tones in my hair again! From jet black nothing to a warm brown. I think because I dyed my hair red for so long obviously there were still red molecules in my hair which were brought out again due to the stripper maybe? I dunno. I was kinda hoping the stripper would lighten it more but to be honest, I was just glad to be rid of the black!


















My roots calmed down a hell of a lot, but they were still a lot lighter than the rest of my hair. I did end up putting a semi-permanent L'oreal Castings dye in 'Chocolate Brownie' on to cover up the un-eveness. But overall, yay! It's not like a massive change, but I'm just grateful that my hair is a few shades lighter!

But my hair change is not over, oh no... I'm still undecided on what colour to go, but at least now I have a fairly decent canvas to start on. Plus I am venturing into Toni+Guy tomorrow to get a new haircut - yay! So I will be posting pictures of my hair with my new haircut (that's if something doesn't horribly go wrong or I hate it or something!)

Anyhoo, this was just my little experiment on correcting hair colour. I will start blogging more now that I'm getting more spare time. Feel free to subscribe or comment if you like what you read!
Reblog from Trainee   http://fashioncabaretgirl.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment